Thursday, January 10, 2008

Update - Day 7, Our Journey Through the Pantry!

It is day 7 (week one) of our Journey Through the Pantry and I have to tell you its been awesome! We still have plenty of good food to eat! I was talking with a friend in AZ (Mrs.B) about our little experiment, and she too has taken on the challenge! After talking about it with her, we decided that there were ground rules that should be followed. Rule one is that although we may not go "shopping" for food, we may get fresh fruit and veggies. I want to see how long I can live out of my pantry-not nutritionally starve my kids! Second, you may also purchase milk. We don't drink a lot of that in our house, but at Mrs.B's they do, and with three "little" ones(she has seven altogether!), we couldn't see going months without that! I buy instant nonfat milk now anyway-so we always have milk on hand!

After talking about the "rules" of the game we added yet another side to it. In an attempt to keep our non-sense, impulse buys to a bare minimum. We are sending the oldest child into the store to retrieve said exceptions to the experiment. That way there is no aimless, wandering down numerous aisles of temptation!

Last night we had chicken, gravy and mashed potatoes, and veggies. Yesterday we ran out of store bought bread-but I have a cupboard full of all the ingredients to make bread! Ahhh...the bliss of "going without"!

1 comment:

JK said...

To: My Love

I can't tell you how proud I am of you. The sacrifices you and they kids are making. I know it is just an experiment, but I need to tell you, "You are amazing for even trying it." Keep up the great job and I pray my journey comes to an end in March, so I too can enjoy the pantry life with you.

Your Husband: 143